Friday, September 13, 2013

The Missions of Merl Stitt WWII

The Missions of Merl Stitt during WWII

This is the complied recreation of the missions my Great Grandfather flew during WWII as the Ball Turret Gunner on the B-17 Flying Fortress. Let me start out with this, this is my interpretation of research I have done over the last two plus years of his records, his squadron, and the targets he was assigned. While I have done my best it is by no way 100% accurate and things can always be changed or added as new discoveries surface.

To view the this project you have to have Google Earth, you can download it at www.earth.google.com To help you with Google Earth in case this is your first time, below is a short YouTube video to help you navigate around the globe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0_K0Wp1rSU I also have some instruction in the project that should pop up as soon as you open the Merl WWII.KMZ file.

I am sorry I couldn’t make it a little more user friendly but with the amount of information and the limits of my Google Earth knowledge this was the best way for you to experience it. I really hope you enjoy this insight of his time over Europe as much as I did creating it.

In Your Memory Great Grandfather,

Eric Stitt

PS I would really appreciate all feedback on what you thought and how it worked for you.  If there is any problems please contact me and I will try to walk you through it.

This is just an image from Google Earth.  File is at the end of the second paragraph.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Lisa Louise Cooke for the comments on your show GenealogyGems. You can hear what she said here http://genealogygemspodcast.com/episode-161-taking-risks-and-norwegian-research

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't listened to the podcast as yet, but I have had a look at Eric's Google Earth project and am very impressed. I've been putting together the journey of my family coming from the church where they married in Galway Ireland, to Nottingham England then out to Northam Western Australia. I used Lisa's Google Earth for genealogy video to learn what to do and what you have done Eric has given me some more ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny for the kind comments. When you start putting your journey together, feel free to contact me if you have questions. I had a tone of fun putting it together. I can't wait to finish my next project and share it with you all.

      Delete
  3. Eric, I must have missed a step or two trying to view the KMZ file. I couldn't download it. Anyway, I apologize for not being able to comment on what sounds like a very interesting family history of your grandfather. I occasionally browse the genealogy sites to see some of the latest posts on the Stitt surname.
    Richard A. Stitt
    Georgetown, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Richard, I hope this reply finds you. If you would email me at Stitt.Eric+blog@gmail.com I will email you the file direct. Would also enjoy trying to find out if your Stitt lines intersect.

      Delete