Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In The Beginning, Why I'm Even Doing This? Part II

So last time I was telling you how I got started into genealogy because of a forgotten cemetery in my neighborhood.  Over the last 4 years I am made an attempt to find and document where the last resting place is for all my family.

Below is just a small shot of what I have mapped out so far.  Each place marker is a GPS marker of where the tombstone is, with some margin of error.  I couldn't get my Google Earth Embeder to work but I will keep working on it and maybe in a future post you can see an interactive map to explore.  If anyone would like a copy of my Google Earth file, post here or email me and I will send it to you.  I have links to each FindAGrave memorial in the placemarkers.  The cool thing about that is while you might not be up for a road trip to a cemetery, you can still visit the memorial via the web.

These are just the people and cemeteries I have personally visited.  There are about 40 other cemeteries that I haven't visited that are outside of a day's drive.  Its neat seeing all of the cemeteries that I need to visit as most of them start on the east coast and end in MO.  When you look at the whole thing you can see the migration path that the family took to get here. 

I will put something out closer to Memorial Day but if there are any family members who would like a map or if you see someone who I have missed, let me know.  Please feel free to send me your pictures, it lets me see how the stones are aging.





3 comments:

  1. Its not interacting with me.... Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this is just a photo. I have a Google Earth Embeder but couldn't get it working. I will try to get a repost as soon as I get it figured out.

      Delete
  2. OK I have been looking at the Embeder for the last couple of days. What I have been able to figure out is I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I will keep and eye out and hopefully google will figure something out soon.

    Thanks for your support and understanding.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete